image1 image2 image2

HOLA! I'M SARAH FAULKNER|THIS IS THE STORY OF A BIG SUMMER|GOD CALLED ME TO LEAVE THE U.S. & VOLUNTEER|I'M SERVING THE CHILDREN OF GOD IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC|BUT I KNOW I'M REALLY HERE TO LEARN|I GIVE ALL THE GLORY OF THIS JOURNEY|TO GOD & HIS BIG HEART| . . .

Needy

It would be easy for a group of Americans to come to this children’s home and see these kids as so needy. I know. That’s what I thought my first week here. That’s what I hear mission group after mission group say as they come spend afternoons with the kids. But what does a child really need?

These children need shelter. They have that. They need food and clean water. They have that. They need hugs and kisses. They have that. They need adults in their lives who love them and love God. They have that, too.

Sure, they like soccer balls and ice cream and selfies. But they have those too, some of the time. So do not think you are serving people because they need you. They have God. They don’t need you. Remember that you are serving because God has asked you. That is it. I am trying to remember that too.

All this is not to say that we can’t be blessed. After three weeks without fresh fruits or veggies, I felt very blessed with I was driven to the grocery store. (This week, I was able to buy apples and bananas.) This home is very blessed when visiting groups bring resources and even more blessed by financial donations.

I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t have pity on the kids here or on people you serve anywhere. And be humble in your gifts. Be thankful that you get to take part in God blessing his children. I am trying to be thankful every day as I eat my rice and beans, teach my students English, and cuddle lots of cute children.

A group of kids and one worker climbing the pile of
logs in one corner of the property.

All in all, things are great here. Today, two different people complimented me on my Spanish, so I think that’s a good sign. Teaching is coming along. A few days ago when I told one of the girls I wasn’t going to give her any gum, she looked at me, stuck out her lip, and said, “I’m sad,” in perfect English.

A few prayer requests:

I teach the youngest kids in three groups for 45 minutes. These kids are ages 2-6 and by far my most difficult classes. Please pray that I will be filled with patience, wisdom, and kindness daily.

In the next few weeks, several Americans are coming to the foundation. Please pray that their travels and transitions are great and that they fit well here.

The longer I’m here, the more I am wondering how I can make these kids a permeant part of my life.  Please pray that if God has a future for me in the Dominican Republic long term, I will be able to see it clearly.

How can I pray for you?

Toda la gloria a Dios.
All the glory to God.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. The last bit about the kids becoming a permanent part of your life made my heart melt. <3 May God give you peace and comfort as you think about this path! :D

    ReplyDelete